Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ballroom Dancing Watercolor - Pencil Outline



















Ballroom Dancing  - 15 x 20.5 inch on watercolor paper 
(pencil outline)

I have attended a ballroom competition on the weekend and took more than one thousand photos of the very exciting event.  I have been thinking of doing some painting of ballroom dancers in the back of my mind for a long time.  I know I need to capture the elegant movement of the dance as well as the energy behind the dance.  One thing in my favor is that I am a ballroom dancer myself and hopefully I can transfer some of that passion and emotion into the ballroom painting.
I am doing this in a 15 x 20.5 inch watercolor painting on cold press watercolor paper.  I have choosen a this dancing couple in my weekend collection of photos for their brightness of the ladies dress.  The men are usually in their black suits contrasts to the glittering of the ladies costume.  Also I like to choose some are more representative and I like the the dances to show less of the face in the painting.  I have started my pencil outline drawing as shown here and will continue with it in the coming days.  My aim is to do a series of ballroom paintings if I can find enough good photograph for the exercise.

No comments: